Tuesday, January 03, 2006

You're hot


I got out early from the garage this afternoon and it turned out to be a pretty good night, even though I thought it would be dead with everyone at home recovering from the holiday weekend. And luckily, there wasn't too much drama in the cab tonight either.

The only marginally interesting moment was when three young drunk girls got into the cab around 10:30. They were all revved up and talking at the same time so that I couldn't hear them tell me where they wanted to go. I had to act like a parent for a minute and say, "Okay, one at a time. One of you has to tell me where to go." When this was finally accomplished, they peppered me with all sorts of questions about being a cab driver. One of the girls got really excited and told some story about her dad's friend named Sam who was a cab driver and who was the smartest man her dad ever met. She was like, "Yeah, and my dad went to Oxford and Columbia. Class of '66. But he thinks this guy Sam is the most brilliant man ever. He recommended all these books to him, like Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. Have you heard of it?" I responded, "Yeah, didn't you read that in high school?" And she said, "No! I'm in high school now and we haven't read it! I'm a junior!" They couldn't believe I had actually read Siddhartha, and all of a sudden, I felt sort of old. I read that book maybe 15 years ago, when I was 15. It's odd to think that way. Thirty isn't really that old, but when you're driving a gaggle of drunk giggling teenage girls home, it sure feels like it.

Anyway, as they were paying and getting out, one of the girls goes, "You're really hot. I'm sure it's annoying because you probably get hit on all the time, but I just have to tell you, I think you're totally hot!" Then they got out and waved as I drove away.

I actually don't get hit on in the cab too often, which I consider to be a good thing, but it does happen from time to time. And when it does, it's usually pretty uncomfortable for me. I've been asked for my number and I've been offered drinks, food, and massages. I've also had one woman jokingly (I hope) offer to pay me in sex instead of cash while she had her girlfriend (who was in Portugal) connected on the cell phone. For some reason, however, the girls tonight didn't really bother me. It was almost cute how energetic and excited they were, and the girl who told me she thought I was hot had major balls, and that needs to be respected.

On a related note, I once drove a woman home who told me she had married her cab driver. He picked her up and they made a connection. Numbers were exchanged, dates went on, and eventually a marriage was had. At the time of our conversation, they had been married for nine years.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a life you must lead!So many things you must hear and see. I'm sure things you long to forget, and always remember! I would love to one day, to just sit beside you, (and not because your "hot",lol...and see, and hear what you do, through my eyes,ears and heart! I've never really been out in the world 'per say'. I've lead a very sheltered,and quite naive LIFE. I've always been one to want to study people,and observe them no matter what the enviornment. I wonder, what is the worst expierience you've ever had as a cab driver, and what's the best expierience you've ever had? To be able to sit and expierience little bits and pieces everyday out of the lives of so many, not just in your cab but in the city that surrounds you. To me, I would do for free (lol, right NOW that is) The job that you do...,but then I'm also sure, that ALL THE MONEY in the WORLD, on your 'worst' days wouldn't be enough maybe do what you do. I'm a first time reader of yours, and hope to be a long time reader.

Anonymous said...

Marry me, NYH!

Heh heh Just messing with ya, hun.

Great blog!

Anonymous said...

How hot are u NY Cabbie, I want to see ya. This sounds sexy.

scout29c said...

Is there any way any of us reading your blog could contact you for a ride when we come to NYC?

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's right for a GIRL to be saying ur hot. UNLESS they were gay!

Anonymous said...

I am a first time reader and I know I will be around awhile. I am from Kansas and seeing a laymans view so to speak of New York (not meant as a putdown)has to be exciting on good days as well as interesting on the bad days. I am so tired of hearing of celebritys tell us of New York.

Anonymous said...

These are the most fascinating comments you have ever received.

Anonymous said...

first time reader, and if ur hot more to power to you.gay or not i think u can still tell a female shes hot

Anonymous said...

Your Blog is great. The phot accompanying "your Hot is graet. The colors really give a feel for the city.

Anonymous said...

Question: You drive for Yellow cab - but are you paid by them as an employee or do you in effect "rent" the cab from them? Used to work in the city years + ago - in the Empire State Bldg, HIS Sports Wear - Miss the city sometimes but ...

Anonymous said...

Yes,I agree with that girl,you are hot. Now were any of those 3 teenage girls hot? lol

Anonymous said...

For "New York Hack" shirt go to
wwwmetabolicstudios.spreadshirt.net

becomingme said...

nice post. must be nice to know that you appeal to the "younger generation." you're like pepsi (the voice of a generation), but not. wow, it feels unnatural to try to use the foreign language of the girls in your cab. what's more, they probably have no point of reference for pepsi once touting being the voice of a generation. (sigh)

have i mentioned that i love your blog??

Anonymous said...

I found out about your blog last Wednesday. Last night a friend and I hailed a cab on Spring and Hudson (site of your hood-jumping encounter). When I saw the driver's face in the mirror I knew it was Diego, and sure enough that was the name on his medallion certificate. I told him I'm a fan of your blog, and we got to talking while my friend's looking at me like I'm insane. What a small town.

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly....you are HOT!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!! tell me that you're single!!

Anonymous said...

There's worse things to hear, after driving in a taxi all day and night... right? (Good for you.) And good luck!

Anonymous said...

Great Blog! Really. I can think up dozens of ways that you can parlay your new found noteriety into cash. Keep up the great writing (#1 turn this into a book) and blogging.

Anonymous said...

A teenage party-girl telling a woman that she's hot IS hot. Mm-hm!

Anonymous said...

Dear Hackasaurus,

Do you know that your profile has been viewed about 25 thousand times?

If you want your readers to return to your site you're going to have to place more info in your profile, like if you're Jewish, etc.

Make stuff up if you're worried about privacy, but there will have to be more info, or you'll seem too impersonal to relate to anyone.

Good luck with the blog.

Nicky

Anonymous said...

Nicky is right, after reading all your posts back through October I still don't have a sense of who you really are. Please post your astrological sign and favorite color so the world can get to know "the real you" otherwise everyone will stop reading.

Sheesh.

Keep up the great work, you hottie, you!

Anonymous said...

I don't see why anyone needs all her personal info to keep reading her blog. I don't even look at that stuff half the time. What if she doesn't want everyone to know her favorite breakfast cereal? I like to read what she writes about her day more than her favorite etc's. I've always wanted to live in NYC. It has to be interesting compared to my town. We see cows more often than taxis.

Snappybob said...

First time here. Love your blog. I've always wanted to visit NYC, someday I will. In the meantime this will do nicely. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi,I read about your blog from a news paper in Taipei last night.
This interview left your blog on it. So you are hot in Taiwan now.

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog. I got turned on to it by reading about you in the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper and decided to have a look. Its great. You have an amazing life and I look forward to reading about NYC from your perspective. All the best. A fan in Sydney, Australia.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered opening a paypal account and putting the link in your blog? You never know what it will bring you?

Anonymous said...

I am from Connecticut and I love visitng New York. I found your site on Yahoo. You are quite the writer. I enjoy your stories. I hope you keep this going for a long long time. Also hope you are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....
Really amazing..
U know the very truth?....
I`m hot...totally HOT cuz i`m madly in love wz my man...my man desperate...
Carry on...

Anonymous said...

Oh man, you are lucky. I drove a cab for about 3 years on the MS gulf coast (I dispatch now), and I was hit on ALL the time. People used to ask me if I was scared to drive in the "hood," and I always said that I'd much rather pick up a hoodrat than a drunk redneck. It was like they'd already hit on everyone in the bar and struck out, and when they saw a female cabbie, their faces lit up, as if they had one last chance. DISgusting. Anyhow, am enjoying your blog. (:
Thanks!

MJ06 said...

You get alot of underage drinkers in your cab?